Judging is now complete for the NMPW Communications Contest. Entries that won first place in a category can be forwarded to compete in the National Federation of Press Women’s Communications Contest if the following qualifications are met:
- The entrant must be a current member of NFPW (the national organization) by February 22 (join at https://nfpw.org/join).
- If the entrant was a current member of NMPW (the state organization) as of January 31, 2019, NMPW will pay for one first-place entry to be sent on to the national contest. If the entrant won first place in more than one category, she/he can have additional entries sent on to national by paying the $23/entry fee for each additional entry at our online store .
- If the entrant was not a current member of NMPW (the state organization) as of January 31, 2019, she/he must pay the $23/entry fee for every first-place winner she/he wishes to sent on to the national contest. Pay at our online store.
New Mexico Press Women (NMPW) invites entries for the 2019 Communications Contest, recognizing excellence in print or electronic media, books, photography, advertising, public relations, graphic arts, blogs/websites, and academic journalism throughout New Mexico. You don’t have to be a member of NMPW to participate in this open competition. See below for contest details.
Communications Contest Entry Workshop
If you would like guidance with the electronic entry process for the contest, you are welcome to attend a free workshop on January 5 from 12:15 until 1:15. This will follow the Southwest Writers meeting at the Center for Spiritual Living, on the northwest corner of Louisiana and Claremont (north of Menaul). This is a very broad contest that includes all types of communications, and state winners can move on to national competition. For more information on the contest categories, deadlines, and submission requirements, see newmexicopresswomen.org/2019-communications-contest. All submissions, including books, must be done electronically via the contest entry website. NMPW board members will be available to guide you through the process.
The 2019 Communications Contest deadlines are January 9 (midnight in our time zone) and late registration up to January 22 (one-time $25 late fee after January 9). All entries, including books must be submitted electronically; the deadline for submitting books is January 15. Please read the category rules carefully; some have changed this year. For the online form click here.
- NMPW’s Communications Contest uses an online system, which will streamline the entry process for entrants. Once you go to the main entry portal follow the steps listed under “Let’s get started!”.
- Entry fees are $15 for the first entry and $10 for each succeeding entry for members; $20 for the first entry and $15 for each succeeding entry for nonmembers. Organizations – including media, companies and institutions – can take advantage of the member rate for all their entries. Entry fees are paid through the online submission website.
- To be eligible, the work must have been distributed, published or broadcast between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018.
With 61 categories and multiple subcategories, NMPW offers the largest range of categories for work.
Entries will be judged by media and communications professionals. All award places, including honorable mentions, receive a certificate. Winners of multiple awards may be honored for Overall Excellence and receive cash awards. The awards will be announced at the NMPW annual conference to be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico, at the awards banquet, Saturday evening, April 27, 2019.
First place winners who are members of NMPW and the National Federation of Press Women will go on to compete nationally.
See the finalists of last year’s contest: 2018 Communications Contest winners.
Questions? Contact Contest Chair Carolyn Carlson, email@example.com or 505-343-0852.